What is leakSMARTTM?
leakSMARTTM is a complete home water protection system that helps eliminate the threat of costly, devastating water damage caused by faulty appliances or burst water supply lines. This innovative, wireless system not only detects leaks throughout the home, but it also automatically shuts off the water and sends an instant notification to keep the homeowner in constant control.
How does leakSMARTTM work?
The complete leakSMARTTM system is made up of four (4) key components — (1) wireless, waterproof and reusable leakSMARTTM Sensors; (2) a system hub that acts as the communication gateway between the sensors, the valve and the cloud; (3) a patent-pending, solid brass, full port, wireless motorized water ball valve; and (4) the leakSMARTTM app, which allows the homeowner to be notified of any activity and control the system via a smart device. When a sensor detects water, it sends an immediate signal to the system hub. The hub sends a signal to the cloud, which notifies the homeowner of a system event on their smart device via the leakSMARTTM app. The hub also simultaneously sends a signal to the valve, which automatically shuts off the main water supply to the home — all in less than 5 seconds.
The leakSMARTTM system is also compatible with other ZigBee® smart home systems. Please check system compatibility here.
Why do I need leakSMARTTM?
Your home has multiple water supply lines connected to faucets, toilets, washing machines and other appliances and fixtures that are constantly under pressure. These lines could break or burst at any time due to age, wear, failure or other factors. Appliances like water heaters can also fail and cause leaks. If this happens, the water will continue to leak until someone or something turns off the water supply.
Hundreds of gallons of water can be released in less than an hour, causing thousands of dollars in devastating water damage to your home. Did you know? Water damage is the second most common home insurance claim, and in fact, homeowners are 3.5 times more likely to experience water damage than theft in their home. You can now protect your entire home from water damage caused by leaking appliances and burst water supply lines with the leakSMARTTM system.
What smart hubs work with leakSMARTTM?
There are 4 kinds of hubs that will work with the leakSMART valve: Wink(Home Depot), IRIS(Lowes),SmartThings(Samsung), and leakSMART(leaksmart.com). A hub is required for leakSMART to work. The Wink hub can be purchased at Home Depot and HomeDepot.com. The IRIS hub can be purchased from Lowes and Lowes.com. The leakSMART hub can be purchased on leaksmart.com, Amazon, Sears.com, and some other TBD retailers. SmartThings can be purchased at most big box retail stores.
Does Wink, IRIS, or Samsung work with the leakSMARTTM app?
There are 4 kinds of hubs that will work with the leakSMART valve: Wink(Home Depot), IRIS(Lowes), SmartThings(Samsung), and leakSMART(leaksmart.com). If you are using Wink, you will want to use the Wink app. If you are using IRIS, you will want to use the IRIS app. If you are using a leakSMART hub, you will want to use the leakSMART app. If you are using SmartThings, you will want to use the SmartThings app.
Can I install leakSMARTTM or will installation require a professional plumber?
Because the leakSMARTTM Valve connects directly to your home’s main water supply, professional installation is strongly recommended. The leakSMARTTM system comes with a detailed Installation and Operation Manual to guide the installation process. There is also a toll-free number available for further installation assistance. Also, please note that local plumbing codes should be checked for complete compliance before beginning installation.
Will leakSMARTTM detect all water leaks?
leakSMARTTM will detect water leaks that come into contact with a leakSMARTTM Sensor on your floor. It will not detect water leaks within the wall or in rooms where a sensor has not been placed.
Where should I install leakSMARTTM?
The leakSMARTTM Valve is installed after the water meter so that when it receives the signal from the system hub, it will automatically shut off the water supply to the whole house. For complete, whole home protection, leakSMARTTM Sensors should be placed throughout the home wherever water leaks can occur.
Can additional sensors be connected to the same leakSMARTTM system?
Multiple sensors can be placed throughout the home near selected appliances and plumbing fixtures where leaks may occur. Each sensor can be connected to the same leakSMARTTM system for whole home protection. Additional leakSMARTTM Sensors are available here, or from retailers where leakSMARTTM systems are sold.
What happens when water comes into contact with the leakSMARTTM Sensor?
When water makes contact with a leakSMARTTM Sensor, it sends an immediate signal to the system hub. The hub then sends a notification to the homeowner via the leakSMARTTM app and simultaneously signals the leakSMARTTM Valve to close, automatically shutting off the water supply. The sensor also produces an audible alarm to notify the homeowner of a leak.
Can the sensors also monitor temperature?
Yes. leakSMARTTM Sensors can also be programmed to monitor temperature and notify the homeowner of temperature changes in the home, via the leakSMARTTM app. The temperature monitoring feature can help prevent frozen water pipes by notifying the homeowner of significant changes in temperature.
At what temperatures can leakSMART operate?
leakSMART’s temperature limitations are based on temperature specifications from the battery companies. Typical batteries can only operate between the temperatures of -4 to 130 degrees °F. The actual temperature sensor on the leakSMART sensor board has an operating range of –40 to +257 °F.
How is the sensor powered?
The leakSMARTTM Sensor is powered by 3 AAA alkaline batteries. Always make sure fresh batteries are installed in the sensor. When the battery power is low, the sensor will emit an audible beep to notify the homeowner that the batteries must be replaced. The homeowner will also be notified of low battery power via the leakSMARTTM app.
Do I need to manually reset leakSMARTTM when it shuts off the water supply?
The leakSMARTTM Valve will automatically shut off the water supply when a leakSMARTTM Sensor detects a leak. Once the leak has been corrected and the sensor is free of moisture, the leakSMARTTM system can be reset, and the motorized brass water ball valve can be re-opened with the touch of a button on the valve, or via the leakSMARTTM app.
Do I need to periodically test leakSMARTTM to make sure it’s working?
The leakSMARTTM system can be tested easily at any time with the touch of a button on the leakSMARTTM Valve, or by using the leakSMARTTM app. In addition, the leakSMARTTM Valve is programmed to automatically cycle every month to ensure continuous, reliable operation.
What happens if I have a power outage?
The leakSMARTTM Valve has a dual power source. It is powered with an AC power adaptor and also has a battery backup (4 AA batteries). It is recommended that you keep your valve operating on AC power and only use batteries as a back-up power source. If fresh batteries are installed in the leakSMARTTM Valve, the system will continue to operate in the event of a power outage.
What is the warranty on the leakSMARTTM system?
Waxman Consumer Products Group warrants the leakSMARTTM product to be free from defects in materials or workmanship, under normal use and service, for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase. If at any time during the warranty period the product is determined to be defective, Waxman Consumer Products Group shall repair or replace it (at our option). The warranty is limited to defective parts as stated. All costs of removal and installation of the leakSMARTTM product, including the replacement of warranty parts, are the responsibility of the purchaser. The complete warranty is printed in the leakSMARTTM Installation and Operation Manual.
What does it mean if my gateway indicator lights are showing the following?
• Solid red: No IP address (check hardware and Ethernet connection)
• Blinking red: IP address acquired, but no cloud connection
• Solid green: Gateway is paired with sensor or valve, and ZigBee network has been created
• Alternating single green with pause: The gateway is currently in pairing mode
• Alternating double green with pause: ZigBee network has been prepared
• Rapid flashing of green: Gateway firmware is being updated over the network
What does it mean if my valve indicator lights on the display window are showing the following:
• Solid Red: Valve status is closed (Right side of display)
• Blinking Red: Valve is closing (Right side of display)
• Solid Green: Valve status is open (Left side of display)
• Blinking Green: Valve is opening (Left side of display)
• Alternating: double blue with pause: Valve is in pairing mode (Center of the display)
• Three blue flashes and then stops: Valve has paired successfully
What does it mean if my sensor indicator lights are showing the following:
• Alternating five blue flashes with pause: sensor is in pairing mode
• 5 blue flashes, each accompanied by an audible beep: sensor has paired successfully
What should I do if the indicator light on the gateway stay solid red?
• A solid red indicator lights means there is no internet connection. Please recheck the Ethernet connection between the gateway and your local router.
The “scan” feature on the app is not working on the QR code on the bottom of the gateway?
• Make sure you are scanning the correct QR code on the bottom of the gateway. If “scan” is still not working, you will need to manually enter the MAC address on the bottom of the gateway.
I have added the gateway but the app screen has been “activating” for a few minutes.
• Confirm that previous steps of the setup were completed successfully and they your smart device running the app has a steady internet connection.
What are the steps for adding a new gateway?
1. Plug power and Ethernet cable into gateway
2. Light should turn red then go to red blinking
3. Add gateway in LeakSMARTTM app (Scan or manually enter MAC address)
4. Status bar should read “Activating”
5. Light will go from red flashing to double blink green flashing
6. Status bar should then read “System Ready”
7. Then status bar should turn to “System OK”
How far away from the gateway can I place my sensor?
• We recommend that sensors should be closer than 50 feet from the gateway. Range may vary on a case by case basis depending on various types of interference such as physical barriers, and other electronic devices.
I put batteries in my sensor, but why it is not pairing with the gateway?
• Please check the make sure that the lights on the gateway indicate that it is in pairing mode. Once you have inserted batteries into the sensor, you will need to press the button underneath the battery cover once to enter the sensor’s pairing mode.
How long do the batteries last now in the sensors? How about the valve?
Currently, the battery life is 5 months in the sensors and we are constantly working on improving this.
The batteries in the valve will last 8-10 months or greater, as long as the AC adaptor cord is used. 5 months if battery power alone.